The Public Building Authority is currently recruiting for the position of Access Control
Specialist. Under the direction of the Director of Security & Life Safety, Access Control Specialists are
responsible for the following duties:
• Assist with maintaining the automated access control system to include technical functions of
systems parameters and program criteria with a database of over 8,000 active access control
cards, approximately 800 card readers and 50 monitor alarm points utilizing local both and remote
• Operate the automated access control system consisting of proximity access control
hardware/software and programmable database that controls alarmed security points and access
control points with individual access levels, times and authorizations for PBA managed properties
• Operate the photo identification system to include badges, authorization levels, issue/reissue, and
retrieval of badges/access cards.
• Assist with the archiving of automated records to ensure accuracy of automated reporting system
used to provide activity reports for system evaluation, management review, and other purposes as
• Assists with CCTV video recording review and requests when needed.
• Reports concerns to Director, Security & Life Safety, or appropriate PBA staff member(s).
• Ensures that proper access control measures are provided for the tenants, visitors, and staff of the
Public Building Authority.
• Other work as assigned by the Director of Security & Life Safety.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED).
• Must have no felony convictions. Must have no misdemeanor convictions that would compromise
the mission of the Public Building Authority.
• Must have a current Tennessee driver license.
• 2 years of Access Control experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to offer alternative solutions to achieve objectives
• Knowledge of records management systems and procedures.
PBA manages over 5 million square feet of buildings for the City and County. PBA originally developed and owns the City County Building, which is approximately 531,000 square feet in size. With a staff of 165 employees, PBA oversees maintenance, grounds, security, life safety and custodial activities for most locations under their management. PBA also manages the public parking garages and lots with internal staff overseeing parking operations as well as booth attendants. PBA began on-street parking enforcement as a pilot program on Gay Street for the City of Knoxville in 2015 and have expanded enforcement within the Central Business District and Cumberland Avenue corridor as well.
PBA manages over 6,000 phone systems for the City and County. The PBA Project Development Department acts as an owner’s representative for Knox County and the City of Knoxville. We manage construction projects as assigned by the City or County Mayors. All PBA contractors/vendors needed for other services are competitively selected by RFPs, RFQ’s or bids.